• Log In  Register
  • English
  • For Employers

Menu - [Jump to main content]

Driving License Procedures | Abu Dhabi City Guide - Bayt.com

Driving licenses can be obtained by adult UAE citizens/residents after training from an authorized driving school in Abu Dhabi. If you are 18-21 year of age, you can apply for a probationary license.

If you have never driven before nor have a driving license that is not on the approved list of 36 countries then you must undergo training.

Documents Required

A Passport (original & copy) with residence stamp, No-Objection Certificate from employer & 8 photos are the required documents.

Authorized Driving Schools

NamePhone Number
Abu Dhabi Driving School024484878
Al Alamain Motor Drivers Training School026425289
Al Aqeed Motor Driving School026424577
Al Butin Auto Driving School024430119
Al Dhabaey Drivers Training Establishment026417097
Al Dhafra Motor Drivers Training School028841466
Al Harbi Motor Drivers Training School026716177
Al Hasib Motor Drivers Training School024461200
Al Khalidiyah Motor Drivers Training School026423003
Al Muqaddam Motor Drivers Training Establishment026774750
Al Nahda Motor Drivers Training School026338061
Al Nassr Motors Driving Training Establishment026418103
Al Omran Motor Drivers Training School026727134
Al Salam Motor Driving School024435744
Al Shahama Auto Training School028833500
Al Shams Motor Drivers Training School024434190
Al Shamsi Automobile Driving School024479550
Al Umma Motor Drivers Training School024464351
Al Wafae Motor Drivers Training Company026333578
Co Operative Establishment026772801
Delma Driving School028781838
Emirates Motor Drivers Training Company - P S C025511911
Emirates Motor Drivers Training School026425740
Fath Motor Driving Training Establishment026419141
Gulf Flower Motor Drivers Training Company026344163
Gulf Motor Drivers Training School024456829
Jowhera Al Khalij Motor Driving School026420844
Linda Car Motor Drivers Training School026420006
Rames Motor Drivers024453090
Santana Motor Drivers Training026332059
Sunrise Motor Drivers Training School024432491
Technical Motor Drivers Training Institute024450466


  1. Get an eye test done either at an optician or at your driving school.
  2. The school will handle all paper-work with RTA who may even have a counter at the school.
  3. Receive your temporary driving license, which you must carry in your training car.
  4. Once you have passed all internal tests like garage and parking, your school will apply for your signal test followed by your road test.

Signal Test

On the date assigned, go with your passport, driving file+ 2 photos to RTA License Section of your driving school. Fill up application form & submit fees (around AED 80). When your name is called out, go to the computer booth and identify the traffic signals. (In case you are not computer literate, you can opt for the manual test). Collect the pass print-out with your road test date (if you fail, pay the test-fee & you will be given another new test time and date) and submit to your driving school.

Road Test

Keep in mind that you will need your passport, your driving file and 2 photos for the RTA License. Be punctual and right on time on the day of your exam!

Transfer of existing Driving License

If you have just moved to work in Abu Dhabi, you may be eligible to transfer your existing driving license, without having to take a driving test or going to a driving school, if you have a valid driving license from any of the following 36 countries:
Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States.

Kindly note that driving license holders of some countries in the above list will require translations or consulate letters. These countries are:

  • Canada: A letter from the Canadian Consulate in Abu Dhabi to verify that the license is genuine is required, before transferring your license.
  • Driving license holders from Greece, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Cyprus, Canada, Turkey, Japan & Korea will require a translation of their driving license from their respective consulates.

Fees & Documents Required: Passport for residents (original & copy) residence permit copy, current driving license (original & copy), translation of driving license (for some countries), consulate letter (for Canadians), 1 passport photo, eye test certificate & AED 100 for transfer fee. Also required is a no-objection letter from your sponsor.