dubizzle is a horizontal C2C free classifieds website that was started in 2005 in Dubai by two co-founders, J.C. Butler and Sim Whatley. Over eight years, dubizzle has grown to become the largest C2C platform in the MENA region. In the UAE, dubizzle is a mature business, and the largest local website, with approximately one half of the nation’s Internet population visiting our site at least once every month. Throughout the rest of the MENA region, dubizzle is growing with the goal to reach the same size and reach in each MENA country as it currently has in the UAE. Most notably in Egypt, dubizzle is the leading classifieds site and growing rapidly.
In 2010, dubizzle raised funding for the first time from a strategic partner, Naspers. Naspers invested in dubizzle for a 25% stake in order to help grow the business throughout the MENA region. Again in 2013, Naspers increased their stake in dubizzle in order to facilitate even more aggressive expansion, and secure their majority ownership in the business. Aside from funding, Naspers, brings an immense amount of knowledge in the e-commerce and classifieds space in emerging markets, as they are one of the largest classifieds and emerging market internet players globally. Their approach is hands off, yet supportive with strategy, training and knowledge sharing wherever needed.
Our people are from all over the world, with staff from over 30 different countries, speaking 13+ different languages. As of January 2013, we have over 170 staff regionally, with 150+ at HQ in Dubai. We believe in only hiring and retaining “A” players, and providing them a culture of context rather than control. We encourage creative ideas and testing those ideas with data. We like to ship early and ship often, test, and iterate.
To disrupt consumer exploitation, and have some fun doing it.
○ the overwhelmingly dominant C2C platform across MENA
○ the most engaging
○ the most user “wowing”
○ and the most brimming with personality classifieds brand the world has ever seen.
○ Be yourself & have fun. Even if you're different.
○ Be passionate, committed, & courageous.
○ Have the humility to constantly learn & grow.
○ Be resourceful. Find a way to do a lot with a little.
○ Exceed expectations and deliver the unexpected.
○ Treat others as you would like them to treat you.
○ Challenge your assumptions to do things smarter.
○ Be transparent, open & honest. Even when it's difficult.
○ Support the local.
○ Keep it simple.