Accessibility and Special Needs Services Coordinator - Abu Dhabi -Female Only - UAE National Only
Office of Accessibility is seeking for a talented Emirati Female to work to be responsible for the administration of the operations and activities of the Office of Accessibility ensuring it is in line with the stated goals, vision and mission of the division. Proactively promotes the awareness about the Office of Accessibility to encourage the acceptance of special needs students amongst the teaching community of Zayed University. Also, responsible for supporting and guiding students on disability-related matters, technology usage, etc
· Establishes and maintains professionally appropriate criteria and procedures for determining eligibility of Zayed University students for disability accommodations and services.
· Advises prospective students, parents, faculty and administration of academic, administrative and programmatic accommodations and services available to students with documented disabilities ensuring the timely and accurate alternative format information.
· Liaisons with faculty members, accessibility office and head of department to ensure the delivery of curriculum to the special needs students in an accessible format which is based on students’ specific learning styles.
· Develops a motivational plan for students which includes orientation and mobility training to help them adjust in university environment, ensure their safe and independent movement, resolve technical problems, etc.
· Works to improve campus accessibility and promotes assistive technology in accommodating students with disabilities by providing training and support for instructors and students.
· Visits schools to promote the Office of Accessibility. Also, promotes access to a wide range of programming including athletics, internships and distance learning by working with ZU administration in these areas.
· Advises faculty and administrators of legal responsibilities and establishes procedures for compliance.
· Provides support and inputs for strategic planning, budget development and management, and equipment management—for the department.
· Maintains a confidential and secure database of all documentation related to students’ accommodation needs. Analyses this data and created reports for the management, as and when required.
· Serves on committees as deemed appropriate and represents the department at university functions and engage in special projects, as requested.
· A minimum of 4 years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) from an accredited institution in Special Education, Counseling, Psychology, Education or related field, or an equivalent combination of both.
· Relevant professional experience in administering services for individuals with disabilities to include identifying and implementing student accommodations is also required.
Other essential requirements:
· Demonstrated understanding of UAE disabilities law.
· Demonstrated understanding of developmental issues facing university students from a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds.
· Demonstrated knowledge of disability assessment, accommodations, services and assistive technologies.
· Excellent organizational and administrative skills; strong planning and facilitation skill
Accredited institution in Special Education, Counseling, Psychology, Education or related field
- Job Location:
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Company Industry:
- Education, Training, and Library
- Company Type:
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role:
- Joining Date:
- Employment Status:
- Full time
- Employment Type:
- Monthly Salary Range:
- $5,000 - $6,000
- Manages Others:
- Number of Vacancies:
- Career Level:
- Mid Career
- Years of Experience:
- Min: 2 Max: 5
- Residence Location:
- United Arab Emirates
- United Arab Emirates
- Bachelor's degree / higher diploma
About This Company
Zayed University, a premier university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. With over 750 faculty and staff serving approximately 5900 students across two main campuses – as well as satellite locations - in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, the University prepares graduates to become leaders in government, business, civil society, and family life. The University expects its graduates to be fully bilingual in English and Arabic, proficient in the use of computing technology, and strong in quantitative and research skills. The language of instruction and administration at the University is English.
Zayed University is fully accredited in the U.A.E. as well as by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in the U.S.A.
The United Arab Emirates is a progressive country known for its high standard of living and its safe and family-friendly environment.