Closed or Expired Job Posting This job posting is closed or has expired and is no longer open for applications.
The Associate Veterinarian provides routine and urgent medical and surgical care, develops preventive medicine and husbandry programs, assures animals are shipped safely, and provides veterinary services oversight for conservation programs.
Key Tasks & Duties:
• Provides medical and surgical care at a location or specific collection
• Participates in establishing policies, procedures, and standards
• Oversees restraining or immobilization procedures necessary to bring animals under control for examination
• Conducts physical examinations;
• Collects blood, tissue, and secretion samples for analysis and testing
• Forms diagnoses and develops treatment programs
• Performs emergency and scheduled surgical procedures
• Reviews and analyzes pathology records
• Develops and administers preventive medicine and husbandry programs such as vaccinations, worming, nutrition, foot care, dental care, and quarantine examinations
• Coordinates off-site veterinary services and support for conservation programs
• Develops instructional programs and teaches animal care staff, visiting veterinarians, and students
• Prepares and maintains medical records
• Conducts and participates in animal inspection rounds with staff and other departments to discuss and plan treatment programs
• Coordinates/consults with other zoological veterinarians
• Examines neonates and prescribes care procedures
• Immobilizes and prepares animals for shipment, including pre-shipment examinations and documentation
• Keeps abreast of research findings which relate to clinical veterinary practice
• Conducts clinical research, documents findings, and publishes in peer-reviewed scientific journals and other publications
• Attends professional meetings and presents research findings
• Prepares reports; and
• Maintains a variety of contacts in order to respond to inquiries and requests and effectively coordinate activities.
• Writes and administers grants; and performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Examples of representative qualifications include a DVM and experience caring for exotic animals; knowledge of regulations affecting zoological institutions; surgical skills. This classification requires California licensure as a veterinarian and a federal narcotics license (or equivalents). Diplomat designation by the American College of Zoological Medicine or eligibility to sit for the examination within one year of employment is desirable.
• 4 to 8 years relevant experience in a world class zoological institute.
Domain Skills & Knowledge:
• Experience caring for exotic animals
• Knowledge of relevant regulations affecting zoological institutions
• Surgical skills
• Ability to develop, administer, and monitor budgets
• Ability to train and mentor
• Success in publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals
• Word processing, database, and spreadsheet systems experience required
• Communication skills and ability to work effectively with others.
• Fluency in English
• Ability to work in a multicultural institution
• Take personal responsibility for veterinary service to the AWPR animal collections through establishing open and honest relationships and being fully accountable for own actions.
• Show leadership and mentoring skills
• Show sensitivity to the needs and feelings of colleagues and collaborators.
• Makes decisions within his or her won remit to ensure targets and objectives are achieved within timescales and quality standards
• Analytical approach to problems
• Embraces change and thrives on new challenges
• Reviews and adopts current best practice in the profession
• Develops and tests new ideas to advance efficiency and effectiveness
• Actively works towards KPIs
- Job Location:
- Al Ain, UAE
- Company Industry:
- Government Sector
- Company Type:
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role:
- Joining Date:
- Employment Status:
- Full time
- Employment Type:
- Monthly Salary Range:
- Manages Others:
- Number of Vacancies:
- Career Level:
- Mid Career
- Years of Experience:
- Residence Location: