Head of Total Cost Management provide strategic direction to the Total Cost Management function and ensure its alignment with the development of Qatar Rail’s commercial function as part of the management team.
The job holder is accountable to build and implement processes for efficient cost engineering and estimations in the company based on total cost management best practice and approaches to reduce risks and enhance efficiencies.
• Develops a cost intelligence capability based on an agreed platform which will enable Qatar Rail to benchmark between projects, between suppliers and lines, to track unit rates over time and support risk modelling.
• Develops a three point estimating capability backed by numerate data and supported by a parametric model.
• Shape the increased commercial intelligence required by Qatar Rail, and in particular the time and cost estimation skill required to ensure cost effectiveness and efficiency at each stage of a project.
• Act as the source of authoritative advice on planning and estimating matters for Qatar Rail, liaising with external bodies to determine best practice to implement within Qatar Rail’s commercial function.
• Supports project Directors and their teams in implementing a commercial approach to planning, estimating and cost capture through the various contract phases.
• Defines and produces guidance and reporting templates to capture and analyse data effectively for predicting trends, challenging contractors’ estimates, sharing information and improving the cost engineering capability of Qatar Rail.
• Works with project directors to ensure that appropriate contingencies are modelled and included in all estimates.
• Identifies and leads reviews of activities and methodologies that will drive continuous improvement in the cost engineering function across the division.
• Supports negotiations with contractors on the valuation of changes and claims.
• Mentors and develops capability of the TCM team and cost engineering understanding in the wider business.
• Takes steps to enhance Qatarization
• Minimum of ten years’ experience as a cost engineering practitioner.
• Proven track record of managing a cost engineering and forecasting function using industry recognised standards and based on Total Cost Management principles.
• Relevant experience of negotiating large contracts.
• Strong commercial and business acumen.
• Attention to detail and ability to cope with crises and difficult situations.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Effective interpersonal and motivational skills.
• Effective time management, priority setting and planning skills.Negotiation
• Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline / AACE, ACostE or MRICS certified.
- Job Location:
- Doha, Qatar
- Company Industry:
- Transportation; Construction/Civil Engineering; Consulting Services
- Company Type:
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role:
- Joining Date:
- Employment Status:
- Full time
- Employment Type:
- Monthly Salary Range:
- Manages Others:
- Number of Vacancies:
- Career Level:
- Years of Experience:
- Min: 10
- Residence Location:
- Bachelor's degree / higher diploma
About This Company
Qatar Rail was established as a direct result of the vision of His Highness The Emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. It is one of a number of transformational projects that aim to continue the progression of Qatar into an advanced country capable of sustaining its development and providing a high standard of living for its entire people by 2030. The implementation of this great vision has begun and the national development plan is on track to fulfill the nation’s dream.
Qatar Rail will be the owner and manager of Qatar’s rail network and will be responsible for the design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of the entire rail network and systems.
The Qatar Rail Programs are a major national endeavor for the State of Qatar, and we at Qatar Rail are in partnership with international and local companies to bring the visionary programs to life.
The planned integrated national rail network will unify all rails in Qatar and will connect Qatar’s Rail network to neighboring countries to create the region’s first fully integrated rail system. By combining traditional elements with state-of-the art modern features, these programs will create the region’s most comfortable, reliable, and safe railway system.
We aim to develop a sustainable system which will realize our national dream and create a new business sector for Qatar.