- Primary responsibility of this position is to add cataloging records
for all new library materials (Arabic and English) into computer
system, using the library software.
- Cataloging all library materials (Arabic and English) of various
formats, including both print and non-print materials, using library
software to add items to our online catalog.
- Very close attention is paid to accuracy and discrepancies of the
information provided by the Dewey decimal classification system
and Library of Congress Subject Headings when adding our holding
to records in the system. These items are added in a timely
manner so our library users will have access to new materials as
soon as possible.
- Additional responsibilities include all catalog database
maintenance. This would include all standing order additions,
deletions of items from our collection, changes to existing records
such as location, call number, bar code or copy number.
- Responsible for the periodical checking of and resolving the
problem areas in the online catalog.
- Check all newly processed items for accuracy of labeling as well as
get them ready to go out on the New Book Shelf.
- Maintain the timely rotation of new materials on the New Book Shelf.
Supervise the summer inventory project and the filing of new shelf
- Make an effort to catalog all gift materials given to the University as
- Maintain computerized and/or manual records, including statistics,
related to the cataloging performances completed.
- Assist the Librarian and any other library personnel with other tasks
and projects as needed.
- Bachelors Degree in Library and Information Science (BLIS or
comparable) from a recognized and reputed accredited institution is
essential. Masters in Library and Information Science(MLIS) is preferred.
- Experience Minimum 5-7 years work experience in a university
library of moderate size having 50,000 to 100,000 volumes and/or
academic setting desirable.
- Good computer and library databases knowledge.
- A good interpersonal, verbal and written skill (Arabic and English) is
- Experience with library cataloging and classification of Arabic books.
- Job Location:
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Company Industry:
- Education, Training, and Library
- Company Type:
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role:
- Joining Date:
- Employment Status:
- Employment Type:
- Monthly Salary Range:
- Manages Others:
- Number of Vacancies:
- Career Level:
- Mid Career
- Years of Experience:
- Min: 5
- Residence Location:
- United Arab Emirates
- Bachelor's degree / higher diploma
About This Company
Al Ghurair University, a private institution that was founded in 1999 by the well known Al Ghurair Group,seeks to serve the UAE and wider GCC by producing graduates equipped with the knowledge and skill to sustain the regions continued development.
Al Ghurair University is licensed by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. All AGU bachelor degree program have been granted accreditation.
Since its inception in 1999, AGU has been a community-oriented institution, always responsive to the dynamic changes of the local and regional markets.
The university’s educational programs foster an approach to learning that emphasizes the development of the individual and society. Since its inception, AGU has attracted people from various nationalities and backgrounds, resulting in an ever-increasing student enrollment and the creation of a university culture which celebrates diversity but also encourages collaboration in the effort to achieve the ambitious goals and objectives of this institution.
The expansion of the library''s online learning resources through subscription to a number of databases-such as ABI Inform, IEEE and ebrary. The provision of such material is of particular benefit to the faculty and students of the Business and Engineering colleges. The university has also subscribed to Blackboard, a state-of-the-art Learning Management System, facilitating the use of advanced computer technology in teaching and learning.
The AGU has recently relocated its campus to Dubai Academic City. The new building includes sophisticated computer and engineering laboratories, well-equipped lecture halls, excellent sports and recreational facilities, and scheduled transportation services.
AGU is committed to the continued and constant development of its teaching, research, and professional services.