The job holder is accountable to lead and manage all contracts for Qatar Rail projects and corporate contracts by following best practice approach to extract maximum value while complying and adhering to strict statutory, safety and quality norms.
• Engages actively in formulating and revising contracting Strategies .
• Leads & directs developing contracting policy including contract conditions assessment and improvement.
• Keeps abreast of new legislation, government policy, best practice and relevant external factors relevant to contracting activity.
• Develops innovative contracting approaches to achieve positive outcomes.
• Leads & directs developing contracting modalities, procedures including standard terms & conditions.
• Directs & oversees contract document formation and arranges to finalize the document for review and acceptance by end user and legal departments.
• Ensures that the final contract document is received, understood and accepted by the contractor.
• Reviews necessity, justification and adequacy of amendments and/or variations to the contract document.
• Renders advice on all contractual issues during the life cycle of the contract.
• Oversees contracts close-out with monitoring and evaluation of contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes in future.
• Ensures effective audit and performance management mechanisms are in place and provide statutory returns and reports as required.
• Resolves vendor and contractor grievances, and claims.
• Engages in negotiation of contracts to optimize its value and utility for the company.
• The Contract section provides final Assurance assessment on Variation orders and Claims after it is escalated from Commercial section.
• Mentors and develops staff .
• Takes steps to enhance Qatarization.
• 15 -20 years similar experience either within a client, consultant environment.
• Senior commercial/procurement/legal experience on major infrastructure projects.
• Major rail/metro/underground/above and at grade type projects.
• International and Middle East experience advantageous.
• Experience of managing and developing contracts and relationship management with vendors.
• Experience of procurement and contracting
• Strong working knowledge of the FIDIC suite of contracts.
• Ability to translate Qatar Rail contracting strategy into effective and comprehensive contract documents.
• Claims investigations and resolution.
• Specialist knowledge of procurement concepts, processes, activities and trends.
• Computer skills including proficiency in common word processing, spreadsheet, MS project and presentation programmes.
• Highly numerate, with highly developed analytical skills using qualitative and quantitative data.
• Advanced analytical interpretation and problem-solving skills.
• Business, communication, change management and customer service skills.
• Effective interpersonal and influencing skills.
• Experienced negotiator with practical expectation of what can be achieved.
• Ability to respond appropriately in unplanned and unforeseen circumstances.
• Ability to measure and achieve targets and objectives.
• Effective time management, priority setting and planning skills.
• Lead by example, promoting the highest standards of conduct, integrity and probity .
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to build lasting relationships and command confidence with management, all colleagues and stakeholders
Engineering or Quantity Surveying degree level plus formal legal qualification.
- Job Location:
- Doha, Qatar
- Company Industry:
- Construction/Civil Engineering; Transportation
- Company Type:
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role:
- Employment Status:
- Full time
- Employment Type:
- Monthly Salary Range:
- Number of Vacancies:
- Career Level:
- Years of Experience:
- Min: 15
- Residence Location:
- Master's degree
About This Company
Qatar Rail was established as a direct result of the vision of His Highness The Emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. It is one of a number of transformational projects that aim to continue the progression of Qatar into an advanced country capable of sustaining its development and providing a high standard of living for its entire people by 2030. The implementation of this great vision has begun and the national development plan is on track to fulfill the nation’s dream. Qatar Rail will be the owner and manager of Qatar’s rail network and will be responsible for the design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of the entire rail network and systems. The Qatar Rail Programs are a major national endeavor for the State of Qatar, and we at Qatar Rail are in partnership with international and local companies to bring the visionary programs to life. The planned integrated national rail network will unify all rails in Qatar and will connect Qatar’s Rail network to neighboring countries to create the region’s first fully integrated rail system. By combining traditional elements with state-of-the art modern features, these programs will create the region’s most comfortable, reliable, and safe railway system. We aim to develop a sustainable system which will realize our national dream and create a new business sector for Qatar.