The National Communication Officer will work under the close support and guidance of a Senior Communication Officer receiving guidance and regular feedback on work performed. He/She will support the external partnership unit with data collection, preparation of video clips and donor brochures.
To support the delivery of communication products like brochures and short audio/ video clips on WFP Iraq operations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute to the implementation of country specific communication work plans designed to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, as well as support fundraising activities, ensuring alignment with overall communications and WFP strategies.
2. Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
3. Maintain a contact list of journalist and media outlets and support the flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media, in order to support regular and appropriate communications.
4. Support the social media plan by developing social media content, and utilizing platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
5. Generate donor specific visibility content including text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, in order to support global and country fund-raising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
6. Monitor and analyze traditional and social media to inform the development and/or evaluation of communication activities and strategies.
7. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
8. Collate outreach data contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reports. Support communication activities that enable informed decision making and ensures consistency of information presented to the media and other stakeholders.
9. Support capacity building of WFP staff on all aspects of communication, provides advice and guidance within area and level of expertise, in order to ensure that all activities meet desired standards of consistency, quality and impact. For examples the design and review of training material.
10. Support advocacy work and reach out to the public and specific groups, the academics, and promote participating in different forums and in WFP work and the fight against hunger.
11. Contribute to the internal communication and ensure that staff are kept informed on WFP activities.
12. Other as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
4P Theme Capability Name Description of the behavior expected for the proficiency level
Purpose Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
Be a force for positive change Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
Make the mission inspiring to our team Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
People Look for ways to strengthen people's skills Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
Create an inclusive culture Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
Performance Encourage innovation & creative solutions Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
Focus on getting results Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
Make commitments and make good on commitments Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
Be Decisive Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
Partnership Connect and share across WFP units Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
Build strong external partnerships Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications. Professional experience in graphic design/or visual arts.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English and Arabic language. Knowledge (level B) of another official UN language (Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese) is considered as an asset
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
At least one year of postgraduate professional experience in Communication with an interest in international humanitarian development.
- Job Location:
- Baghdad, Iraq
- Company Industry:
- Community/Social Services/and Nonprofit
- Company Type:
- Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role:
- Marketing and PR
- Employment Type:
- Full Time Employee
- Monthly Salary Range:
- Number of Vacancies:
- Job Ref.:
- Career Level:
- Entry Level
- Years of Experience:
- Residence Location: